We made our inaugural trip to the excellent Wicken Fen rather late in the 2011 season. I was hoping to see my first Variable Damselfly and lo, it delivered. An awkward common name since, unfortunately, most of the blue damsels seem prone to being variable, as well.
- bears the Coenagrion “spur” on the side of the thorax
- antehumeral stripes are classically broken resembling exclamation marks
- ♂ – S9 more than half black
- ♂ – black mark on S2 resembles a stemmed wine glass (but the stem can be missing, apparently)
- ♀ – two forms, dark and blue, best identified by the pronotum shape [good luck!]